If you are thinking about leaving an abusive relationship, here is a checklist to help you plan.
- Contact Women’s Aid for practical and emotional support and to help you plan your leaving.
- Plan to go somewhere that is safe, ideally somewhere the abuser does not know about.
- Contact Women’s Aid, your local council homeless department or Social Care for refuge, temporary accommodation or hostel space.
- Try to keep a small amount of money with you at all times, including change for phones, bus fares and credit for your mobile.
- Keep all important documents and ID in a safe place, passport, bank cards, diary, important phone numbers, marriage and birth certificates, etc.
- Keep a bag packed at a safe place containing essential items, e.g. spare clothes or necessary medicines.
- Seek legal and benefit advice on what you may be entitled to.
- Rehearse an escape plan with your children so you can get away safely in an emergency